Monday, January 18, 2010

Missing Those Carefree Student Days

Now that the holidays are over, and we are back to the daily grind, the daily grind sometimes just feels like exactly that- a complete and total overly-scheduled grind. This past week, as I was waiting and waiting and waiting for the subway to come and whisk me home after a long day, I was lamenting not being a carefree student any longer. I miss the days of meeting new people, being around friends all the time, not having a regimented schedule, and studying abroad. Don't get me wrong, I do not miss the days of writing papers, the pressure of procrastination, and assignments that caused me to stay up all night.

During the summer just before my third and final year at graduate school (as a double major) I went on the most amazing program to Venice, Italy. I had already caught the travel bug many years before, so finishing up some needed credits was as great an excuse as any to get on a plane again. That summer, I met lifelong friends (both American and Italian), and got to know the labyrinthine city so very well. Even though the program was geared towards the study of art history, painting classes were also held in the Giudecca. I completed my assignments on site- some of the most incredible vistas that Europe has to offer. Here are some of my pieces from that magical summer of 1997.

No comments:

Post a Comment