Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Back From The Christmas Markets of Germany

I've been away, did you miss me? I have just returned from a very chilly tour of the busy Christmas markets throughout Germany. It was so cold at one point, that my camera even stopped working! In the coming days, I will be featuring highlights from Berlin, Leipzig, Dresden, Nuremberg, Rothenberg, and Munich; each having its own magical Christmas charm. Our days were filled with sampling hot chocolate, stollen, and gingerbread sweets - the nights with gluhwein, a red wine blended and brewed with spices and served hot.

 A market in Berlin, near Humboldt University (above), and Nuremberg (below).

Decorations from Dresden's market.
A belltower view of Munich's rooftops in the snow.
More of the colorful trinkets that can be found in every market.

3 comments:

  1. Ooooo! can't wait to see more!My favorite Christmas ornaments from childhood were the ones my parents bought while they were stationed in Germany!Welcome home~

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were missed Kim! These images are so very beautiful--i love the rows of stars at the Dresden market. Looking forward to more eye candy from your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness - There is no way that I could have gone on your trip and been able to carry my suitcase home. The little wooden ornaments are the best! I would not have been able to help myself.

    Isn't it funny how a dusting of snow makes even the most charming cities even prettier?

    ReplyDelete