Thursday, July 5, 2012

Handmade Italian Paper - Collecting

I was strolling through Florence, Italy, one morning as a student when I found some gorgeous handmade marbelized paper beckoning me from a little shop. Upon entering that doorway, I couldn't get enough. Dead center was a large table of loose paper; I rifled through it endlessly. Every piece was more beautiful than the next. I set a small selection aside that I knew I would not be able to part with. On the floor, a large basket held more sheets bundled in rolls. I glanced around the room, and walls of shelving held even more. I was never surrounded by more beauty in one little boutique and I knew my wallet would suffer dearly in the end. A few years later (and still a student) I found a similar setup in Venice. Here are slices of the many pieces I came home with. Someday, a photobook or other project will claim them. For now, I appreciate the way the colors and patterns dance in an array of unmatched beauty.




1 comment:

  1. I can see how these inspired you! The pinks and blues and patterns are great. Have you ever tried the process yourself of making the marbled paper?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...