Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Flatiron Runneth Over ...With Cups

Earlier this week, I was running through the Flatiron area trying to duck the cold when I was struck by an odd sight: a thousand (probably more) coffee cups embellished by the hand of Gwyenth Leech. They are strung in a small gallery space aptly called "The Prow" at the pointed end of the landmark Flatiron Building in Manhattan. A few of us gathered mesmerized, trying to take in the spectacle in the dwindling daylight. And this is why I have my camera sitting at the bottom of my purse at all times!
After looking for a few minutes, I quickly found a favorite with a red seaweed pattern.
The exhibit, called "Hypergraphia" runs from September 19, 2011 through February 18, 2012. The artist sits in the space in a type of performance Tuesdays through Saturdays, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. More information [like how did this all get started?] and Gwyneth's progress can be found on her blog about the project: www.gwynethsfullbrew.com

The artist's humble public work space.

No comments:

Post a Comment